Default Slide with Action Settings
Ilene McKenna
2006-02-28 20:31:45 UTC
In a PowerPoint Show I would like to know how to create a main slide, so that
in the later slides, if the action setting directs to a particular when you
select outside the actionable item (i.e. map, aerial, etc.), you can be re-
directed to the default slide. Example the main slide is US Map with
multiple locations, when you select o the map it takes you to a slide showing
a special map for that location, this is set up with action settings on the
map, aerial, demographics and routes back to the main map. But if you select
the blank portion of the slide (or outside of the actionable item) we want it
to direct you back to the main US Map without putting a transparent button on
every slide. I was told that it can be done, but don't know how and have
searched furiously for this. I would appreciate your assistance. Thanks.
Kathy Jacobs
2006-02-28 21:50:32 UTC
Ilene,
View--> Master--> Slide Master. Put your no fill- no line object there. Make
it the size of the slide. Send it behind all of the other objects on the
slide. Hyperlink it to your map slide. Now, when people click on the slide
they will either click the map (if there is nothing on top of it) or click
the object you want them to for the next linking level. (Note: If you have
more than one slide master, you will need to do this to any slide master
that is used by the mapping slides.)

Does that make sense?
--
Kathryn Jacobs, Microsoft MVP PowerPoint and OneNote
Author of Kathy Jacobs on PowerPoint - Available now from Holy Macro! Books

Ilene McKenna
2006-02-28 23:36:13 UTC
Thanks Kathy. We had originally created a transparent button that linked to
the master slide and had a different map with other function settings on it.
This would distort the actionable map if I resized it to cover the map. Do
you know if there is any other way to do it? Sorry to seem ungrateful.
Thanks.
Post by Ilene McKenna
In a PowerPoint Show I would like to know how to create a main slide, so that
[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
Kathy Jacobs
2006-03-01 00:07:03 UTC
Ok - color me confused. How did you create a link to the master slide? The
master is not something that runs in the presentation, it is how the
presentation looks. Do you mean that you added one that linked to your main
menu slide?

Also, I am not sure I understand what you mean by "This would distort the
actionable map if I resized it to cover the map." What I was suggesting you
add is a simple rectangle the size of the slide and put the hyperlink on
that object. Send that rectangle to behind the other objects on the master
slide and then use that master for your presentation slides.

Thanks.
Ilene McKenna via OfficeKB.com
2006-03-01 15:50:00 UTC
Thanks - That works. I didn't understand that I should make the Master Slide
actionable to the main slide or what I am referring to as a default slide. I
created the master slide with action setting to the main/default slide, and
if the person running the power point needs to default back to another map
the select the white space outside the map/aerial they are currently on and
it directs them back to the master/default slide.

Thanks for re-stating the solution. It helped.
Post by Ilene McKenna
Thanks Kathy. We had originally created a transparent button that linked to
[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
Kathy Jacobs
2006-03-01 16:59:04 UTC
Glad to hear you got it working. Feel free to stop back anytime - people are
always here to help!

2006-03-01 17:55:14 UTC
I will ~ this is a great tool and I am sure to use it a lot in the future.
Thanks again.
Post by Kathy Jacobs
Glad to hear you got it working. Feel free to stop back anytime - people are
always here to help!
Post by Ilene McKenna via OfficeKB.com
Thanks - That works. I didn't understand that I should make the Master Slide
[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]